- The Board of HEAnet (Chairman 2004 – 2013). HEAnet is Ireland’s National Education and Research Network, providing internet connectivity and associated ICT services to education and research organisations throughout Ireland, including all publicly funded and most private higher education institutions and all primary and post-primary schools.
- Institutional Management of Higher Education - IMHE was the OECD’s higher education programme. Tom was a member of the Board from 2005-2016 and one of its vice-presidents from 2011 to 2016.
- The Fulbright Commission (3 year term to 2009). The Fulbright Commission of Ireland annually awards grants to Irish and E.U. postgraduate students, scholars, and professionals to study, research, and lecture in the United States and for Americans to do the same in Ireland.
- Science Foundation Ireland. SFI is Ireland’s biggest public direct funder of research in higher education institutions - 4 year term to 2012.
- The Apprenticeship Council of Ireland (2014 to 2016).
- The Expert Group on Future Skills needs - advises the Irish Government on skills needs and labour market issues that impact on enterprise and employment growth (2014 to 2016).
- The Irish Universities Quality Board.
- Chairman of the Board of Benefacts. Benefacts is a non-governmental organisation that provides free public access to extensive information about the entire nonprofit sector in Ireland with the aim of enhancing the transparency of the sector to funders and other stakeholders.
- The advisory board of Asia Matters. This is Ireland’s centre of expertise on Asia.
- The Board of the National Youth Orchestra of Ireland.
- The Denham Scholarship Foundation – established to support individuals from underrepresented groups to access education in law and support their early years as barristers.